Skiathos Island Airport
Modern demands of growing touristic development in Skiathos Island imposed the redefinition of flights safety level and passengers service in the existing airport, which is located at the eastern part of the island at a distance approximately 1,5 km northeast of the town center.
Considering the above the Hellenic Civil Aviation Organization launched the Master Plan of Skiathos Island Airport for possible upgrading and expansion. The contract was awarded to the consultancy firm DENCO SA and the study was conducted in collaboration with the consultant engineer Albert Paul Yamin. The study was dully completed in 2001.
- A 20-year forecast growth period (2001 to 2020) was considered for the airport with a five year intermediate targets. For the coverage of expected air transport demand, three phases/scenarios were finally developed with the first corresponding to the short-term (phase A), the second to the medium-term (phase B) and the third to the ultimate (phase C). By the end of phase A the airport will be able to serve 346,600 passengers, instead of 260,000 passengers in 1999. The corresponding figures for the next phases B and C were 468,350 and 621,000 passengers respectively. The estimated domestic passengers traffic represents about 10% of the total air traffic.
- Airfield developments were planned considering the Boeing 757-200 as the design aircraft:
Phase Α: Widening of existing runway from 30m to 45m as well as extending the length by 60m reaching totally 1,670m, expanding apron to provide parking space for 7 aircraft in total in addition to the existing 3, diversion of the existing coastal road for a length of 200m.
Phase Β: Expanding apron to provide parking space for 3 additional aircraft.
Phase C: Extending runway to 2,000m as well as expanding apron for 2 additional aircraft.
- Development of terminal building per phase:
Phase Α: Completion of the 4,400m2 foreign passengers terminal building in addition to the existing 1,850m2.
Phase Β: Provision of additional 2,650 m2 to the foreign passengers terminal building to reach 8,900m2.
Phase C: Provision of additional 1,400m2 to the above building in order to reach 10,300m2 in total.
- Provision of parking space per phase:
Phase Α: 114 for long-term parking vehicles, 21 for short-term, 28 for taxi and 10 for buses.
Phases Β & C: Additional parking space for few buses.
- Phase A also include the provision of a fuel station.
- Improvement of access to the airport for a length of 1.o km approximately and appropriate traffic arrangements for pedestrians and vehicles at the arrival and departure zone.