Paros Island Airport
The Island of Paros is a very popular destination, since the touristic growth is already high, a significant percentage of the local population deals with tourism industry. However this kind of development is restricted by the existing airport located at the southwest part of the Island, which is outdated and of low operational capability. Its length of just 710m can only accommodate small aircrafts with less than 20 passengers; as a result the air traffic consists entirely of domestic passengers (about 40.000 in 2014). The requirement for a modern airport, which will serve for larger aircrafts and for direct flights from abroad, is imperative as the prospect of further touristic development is extremely important.
In view of the above, the Hellenic Civil Aviation Organization assigned a study to the consultancy firm DENCO SA for the design of a new airport, close to the existing. The study was conducted in collaboration with the consultant engineer Albert Paul Yamin and was successfully completed in 2005. The construction of the runway, taxiway and apron was completed in 2015.
• Runway having 1,400m length (with prevision to be extended to 2,000m), 45m wide and 7,5m wide shoulders on both sides. Safety zone 45m wide along the runway sides and 60m on its ends. Provision of circular areas 45m radius on runway ends for aircraft maneuver.
• Two inclined taxiways, each 140m length, connecting the runway with the apron and a third parallel to the runway 144,5m length. All taxiways are 23m wide with 7,5m wide shoulders on both sides except the parallel taxiway which has shoulder only from runway’s side.
• Apron for aircraft parking having total area 26.000m2 including the parallel taxiway and 3,5m wide shoulder in its perimeter.
• Peripheral road having 4.130m length and 5m width as well as a service road, close to the apron, having 792m length and variable width from 5m to 5.5m.
• Drainage works consisting of trapezoidal and/or triangular ditches having total length 3.430m including four culverts.
• Lightening facility and technical services.