Nea Anchialos Airport
The mixed use military and civil airport of Nea Anchialos is located approximately 5 km northeast of the town of Almyros in Magnisia Region, also extends east of Lamia – Larisa national highway. The civil aviation facilities were temporarily constructed resulting in an inefficient siting, while their use is completely touristic. The terminal building is located in such a way that passengers have military control before entering the airport. Due to the expected increase in tourism, the separation of airport operations is required with proper planning.
Considering the above the Hellenic Civil Aviation Organization launched the Master Plan of Nea Anchialos Airport. The contract was awarded to the consultancy firm DENCO SA and the study was conducted in collaboration with the consultant engineer Albert-Paul Yamin. The study was dully completed in 2001.
- A 20-year forecast growth period (2001 to 2020) was considered for the airport with a five year intermediate targets. For the coverage of expected air transport demand, three phases/scenarios were finally developed with the first corresponding to the short-term (phase A), the second to the medium-term (phase B) and the third to the ultimate (phase C). By the end of phase A the airport will be able to serve 88.500 passengers, instead of 35.000 in 1999. The corresponding figures for the next phases B and C were 180.000 and 300.000 passengers respectively. It is worth to note that the estimated air traffic consists entirely of foreign passengers.
- Airfield developments were planned considering the Boeing 757-200 as the design aircraft:
Phase Α: Widening of existing taxiway from 15m to 18m with additional shoulders 10m width on both sides, new location for the apron to provide parking space for 4 aircraft.
Phase Β: Expanding apron to provide additional parking space for 2 aircraft.
Phase C: Continuation of expanding apron to provide parking space for 3 additional aircraft .
- Development of terminal buildings per phase:
Phase Α: Demolition of existing terminal building and construction of a new 4.450m2.
Phase Β: Provision of additional 3,050m2 to the terminal building in order to reach 7,500m2.
Phase C: Provision of additional 3,350m2 to the above building to finally reach 10,850m2.
- Provision of parking space per phase:
Phase Α: 15 for long-term parking vehicles, 15 for employees vehicles, 20 for car rental, 35 for taxi and 11 for buses.
Phase Β: Αdditional 10 for long-term parking vehicles, 11 for employees vehicles and 9 for buses.
Phase C: Additional 25 for long-term parking vehicles, 7 for employees vehicles and 5 for buses.
- Improvement of access road to the airport for a length of 1.6km approximately and appropriate traffic arrangements for pedestrians and vehicles at the arrival and departure zone.