Kontopouli Village - Lemnos Island
Kontopouli village, in the northeast part of Lemnos Island, has a significant traditional “color” that is formed due to its agricultural and farming activities and the graphical stone houses. In the center of the village, there is a beautiful square, in front of the church of Aghia Anastasia, with traditional taverns that serve local food. The population has decreased over the past decades, as a result of the massive immigration wave to the US, Germany and Australia. However, the village preserves its liveliness, through the activities that are organized by the local cultural club and through the large number of visitors, originating from the greater area, especially during the summer.
The great archeological sites like ancient city of Ifestia with its restored theater and sanctuary of Kavira along with the complex of lakes (Aliki and Hortalimni), one of the most important wetlands of Aegean Sea, attract many visitors of Lemnos Island in general.
The continuous increase of the traffic load of the old and not well preserved existing road network imposed the need for rational traffic control. This would serve, in a much better way, both the transportation from/towards the village and the passing-through vehicles heading to the sites of archaeological and natural interest. The key issues to be taken into account were the small width of the roads and the lack of public parking spaces. Thus, the former Municipality of Moudros contracted in 2002, consultant engineer Albert Paul Yamin, the design of traffic and parking planning of Kontopouli. The study was successfully completed in 2009.
• Construction Cost: 16.750 €
• One-way traffic arrangement of two main and three secondary roads, at parts or at whole
• Seasonal one-way traffic arrangement of one main and three secondary roads, at whole or at parts in order to form traffic loop in the south access from/towards Myrina and Moudros Towns
• Provision of an outdoor parking space for 140 vehicles. Parking prohibition in key points of the road network
• Provision for road signage
• Reconstruction of road surface where necessary
• Provision of shoulders along the road where possible