Main Port of Kalymnos Island
Kalymnos Island is located in the southeastern Aegean Sea and belongs to the Dodecanese. The main port is located at Pothia which is on the south part of the island. The port serves as a modal hub for transporting cargo, vehicles and passengers but also as the main facility for tourist ships and boats.
The Environmental Impact Assessment was contracted to the consortium led by CNWAY after winning the preliminary design competition for the port expansion in 2011. The study was performed by CNWAY on behalf of the consortium’s.
- Strengthening regional and inter-regional sea transport connectivity by upgrading port infrastructure to accommodate larger size vessels
- The proposed measures to manage the negative impacts on the marine coastal ecosystem are:
- Use of dredged material for the nourishment of the nearby artificial beach “Nea Paralia” with suitable sediments
- Establish a water quality monitoring program for the new berth and “Nea Paralia” beach
- Establish an Environmental Management Plan for Kalymnos Port.