Gythion Port - Lakonia Region
The port of Gythion is located on the northwestern end of Lakonia Gulf. The port connects the city of Gythion with the Islands of Kithira and Crete (Chania) also with Piraeus as well as being a port of call for Cruise ships operating in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Local authorities of the Prefecture of Lakonia decided in 2002 to improve port facilities and to create appropriate infrastructure for berthing cruise ships up to 200 meters in length. The contract was awarded to a consortium led by DENCO SA with CNWAY serving as the main subcontractor for the marine related works.
- Total construction cost 22,320,000€
- Construction of new ferry terminal with two specialized berths and a cargo berth with total quay walls of 153.5 meters and a land area of 5,600 square meters.
- Breakwater extension by 110 meters and construction of appropriate facilities for external side berthing of cruise ships.
- New port capacity:
- One external berth for a 200 meter CRUISE SHIP
- Two ROPAX of 100 meters length
- One GENERAL CARGO vessel 80 meters length